SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mscheese1

viburnum leaf beetle

mscheese1
14 years ago

I hope this isn't a stupid question.

This last May the viburnum leaf beetle was confirmed in Madison, WI, which is a couple of counties west of me. I had been considering putting in a couple of Arrowwood or Lantana cultivars, which are on the higher end of the susceptible list (and there isn't much for my zone, combined with my size restrictions, on the least susceptible list.) Should I choose something other than viburnums because of this? The location is pretty important as far as my yard goes-in front of/between the main windows...very visible...

I already have so much trouble due to Japanese beetles, destroying some great patches of coneflowers and bee balm that were planted when we bought (couple yrs ago)-they get devoured. I know it will take some time for the v-leaf beetles to hit here, is there a chance that they won't? But I would heart broken to see a great shrub eaten up...and we don't like to use chemicals, don't want to cause harm to other bugs, birds, or track the stuff in to our pets.

So, what is the consensus? Are any of you dealing with these beetles? Should I not plant viburnums because of these nasty things? How much damage is typical? Does anybody know the rate at which they spread into new areas?

Comments (6)