SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

moving rhus gro-low OMG

WendyB 5A/MA
14 years ago

I decided my rhus gro-low was not in a good spot. It grew fine, but too well and wanted too much real estate. It laughed at the 8 foot width on the tag. And it wasn't getting enough sun to get great fall color. It was planted 3 years ago.

So, after finally completing a 2-year project of clearing a large sunny slope of euyonmous coloratus fortunei (laughs at brush killer), and losing a couple of large trees on the slope in the past 2 years, I decided the gro-low would have a nice home on that slope.

So today I went to dig it out. OMG. It's roots were very very deep and persistent and thick. It had lightly rooted all around the surrounding area. I took many sections of those. I finally got the mother plant out.

So here's my query (finally...sorry, long winded, still catching my breath)... Can I discard the mother plant? there's not much left to it after all my cutting away at roots and branches. And only plant the little pieces of roots that I got? I suspect they will grow easily, but I don't want to risk ending up with nothing.

I got about a dozen branches with tiny roots on it. I'm kinda afraid to plant all of them -- even 10-15' apart. I think I've got the room.

What would you do?

Am also a little concerned about trading the wintercreeper problem for a worse problem in 10-15 years. but I'm trying to not think about that.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus