SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nodrog2009

Snowblower ailments

nodrog2009
15 years ago

I have a Yard King 10hp/28" snowblower and my problem has just begun.

The impeller spins fine and the augers turn, but seem to be slow. The discharge chute blocks any time there is any decent amount of snow and the auger then stops, but the impeller keeps turning.

I have lubricated the auger shaft with grease and I am thinking that the problem must be in the transfer gearbox. Could it be that the gears may be worn or in need of more lubrication? If lubrictaion, does it take grease or some kind of oil?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (2)

• tomplum
    15 years ago

If in fact the augers quit turning with the impeller still running, it is either both shear bolts have failed or the auger gear box needs work. With the unit off, try and rotate the auger. Does it turn the impeller shaft, skip teeth or spin freely?Can 1 auger be turned independently of the other? Yes, the gear box should have lube in it. If it is an MTD product, the last spec I saw is for OO grease. Some originally came w/ 90 w gear oil and is ok to use. I don't like mixing lubes, so take a look at what you have. If the box died, lube won't help now.

• nodrog2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello tomplum.

Thanks for the info. I just turned the impeller and could hear/feel the engine turn over and the augers turn slightly. The augers do not turn by themselves and the shear bolts are fine now. I also noticed that at one side of the gear box the weld at the end of the auger has broken. I think that must have happened when I caught a small (about 1/2" dia.) twig that broke the shear bolts a couple of weeks ago.

So I'm thinking that the gear box is in bad shape.