SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scott32265

Hoophouse plastic?

Scott32265
12 years ago

So I've decided to build my own hoop house (12' x 16') and I have a few questions about the plastic covering. I was originally planning to use just one layer of 6mil uv protected plastic, but then I read that it was better to use two for insulating purposes. My understanding is that there needs to be air between these 2 layers, and that a fan is typically used to maintain this layer. Not a huge fan of running a fan (no pun intended :) 24/7, my question is why cant I put the first layer on and attach it then place something like pieces of foam pipe insulation across the house every so many feet and place another layer over the insulation, pull it tight and attach it same as the first. The ends will be T 1-11 plywood so they wont be plastic. This would maintain the air space required without the need of the fan. Is there more than one purpose for the fan? Also I've noticed there is an 11 mil woven poly should I be looking at this also? I live in the southern part of N.C. close to the S.C. line and receive more ice than snow but both are few and far between, but cant be ruled out. I will be bending the hoops for the house using a hoop bender that uses the top rail of chain link fence. Thanks in advanced for your help, this is my first greenhouse and I want to do it right.

Comments (12)