SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grasswhisperer

Ariens Snowblower moving slow

grasswhisperer
15 years ago

I have a 7HP Ariens (ST 724) - probably about 12 years old - not much use - runs great (had a full tune-up last year after a gear box issue.)

While the engine and unit is running great, I have noticed that the unit itself seems to be moving more slowly than previous years. I can't say if I noticed this immediately after the tune-up last year, but this year it definitely seems to be moving only about 2/3s the speed it did previously. I recall walking at a very good clip when the transmission was in the fastest gear - now it's much slower.

Reverse also seems to be slower, but it's hard to say for sure given reverse being slower anyway.

I realize that snowblowers aren't made to be operated like racecars, but there are times I would like to operate at the fastest speed when the snow is little and/or powdery, etc.

So my questions are:

1) is there a "standard" pace against which I could measure my unit? How fast (assume feet per minute or something) should this guy be moving?

2) How can I adjust this? I know very little, but willing to learn and tinker. I assume there might be a belt or two within the transmission that affects the speed. I'm wondering if there is a tension adjustment used for speed adjustment.

PS - I don't believe there was any change to the rod that connects the hand-lever to the transmission housing.

Many thanks for any insight -

Comments (7)