SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

What caused this damage to my shrub: voles, rabbits, weed-eater?

ilovemytrees
10 years ago

I am guessing it's voles, because a week or so ago we took our fencing down to weed-eat, and as we were putting the fencing back up, there were 4 or 5 baby voles scurrying around frantically. I was pissed.

They were either born inside our fencing or scooted underneath it, because we don't bury the fence, we have always put large rocks around our fencing to keep the voles out, and it works. It's just we didn't put the rocks around these shrubs we had just planted in the spring until last week because we were under the impression that voles only attacked plants in the winter time. So this damage could have gone on all summer.

Anyway, we banged all the voles over the head with a shovel, which wasn't easy because they were running around so fast, then we put the fences back up, and put the rocks around it.

So while we were doing all of this I saw this damage. This was the only shrub out of our 14 shrubs that was damaged.

I do want to add that we also have rabbits that live under our front porch. Also, DH is extremely careful with his weed-eating, and he doesn't think it was him at all, but he said if you guys think it was weed-eating damage then he's sorry about that, and he'll be more careful next time.

Where do I prune these dead branches off at? Thanks in advance for your time.

I do also have one more closer up view of the damage, if you go to:

https://twitter.com/Ilovemytrees then you can click on the pic link in my timeline.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ilovemytrees Twitter pic of damage

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 11:21

Comments (8)