SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda1270

Rose of Sharon - Shrub/Tree??s

LindaMA
16 years ago

I recently purchased a new home and along with this home came two Rose of Sharon shrubs. I'm not really sure if they're shrubs or trees, right now I'd consider them trees because of how tall they are but I believe they once were shrubs but were never prunned.

There is one in front of my house that I recently cut down and I'm worried that I may not have prunned/cut it correctly. It was almost 10 feet tall and starting to lean in one direction and it looked terrible. It bloomed beautifully in late August so I waited to cut it down until well after it stopped blooming. I took a lot off some areas, trying to eaven it out. I cut above a notch so that now it looks as if sticks are sticking up everywhere on the top of the tree. It is now about 7 feet, I wanted to cut it more but was afraid. Did I do the right thing? I've heard that these shrubs are pretty hardy, is this correct? Will it bloom next year, will it eventually fill out better? So many questions, I don't know very much about this shrub.

The other one is on the side of my driveway, it's shapped a little better but almost as tall as the other one. One is has lavender flowers and the other has a dark pink/fushia colored flower. They are beautiful specimens and I would like to do the best for both of them.

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Linda

Comment (1)