SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Euonymous alata still being sold and recommended?

I am always surprised to see Euonymous alata or Burning Bush, still being recommended. So I decided to go looking for more information about it. I was surprised to see that it is not on the Federal Invasives List, but on some individual State lists. Here in Massachusetts, it is on the Invasive list. I have had one in my yard that would drop seeds and have many seedlings around the shrub and in other parts of the yard.

One day I saw a photo of a forest that was literally nothing but trees and Euonymous alata shrubs and nothing else and I didn't need any further convincing not to use this shrub any more. I didn't save that photo, I wish I had. I went looking for it today and don't have the time to keep looking, but I did find these photos....everything green in these photos is Euonymous alata.

{{gwi:279638}}

{{gwi:279639}}

{{gwi:279640}}

Also, when you stop and think of how many great shrubs there are to use instead of this shrub, I don't understand why using something else would be a problem for anyone. I think it has to be that red color and the fact that they are so abundant that they are less expensive?

Blueberries get as red as Euonymous in the fall, and there are so many Viburnum that grow fast, have gorgeous burgundy and orange colors in the fall with the added benefit of attractive flowering and fruiting. Ninebarks have some pretty unique foliage colors.

Anyone else have a suggestion for a shrub that would be better than a Euonymous?

pm2

Comments (14)