SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taraz579

hillside garden: retaining wall not an option. any other ideas?

taraz579
14 years ago

Hi. I had posted last weekend, about input for a retaining wall. we are working on building a veggie garden, 35' long, 25' wide. There is about a 45 degree incline on the 25' side, with a total height difference of about 6'4".

We just got the official quote today for wall brick and the lowest quote (lower quality brick, which we really didn't want anyways) was $3800, with the good quality brick being $4800. Both my fiancee & myself were thinking more like 1200-maybe 2000, but rite now we just can't do that fiancially.

So, now onto other options?... the guy at the garden center thought maybe a 2 tier garden would work better & cut out some bricks, but no sure how much of a difference. Will get the answer to that quote in the AM.

But, other than using cinder blocks for a wall, does anybody have any ideas that might be feasible??? (railroad ties are not an option).

Scott (my fiancee) is now saying we'll get some gravel & soil delivered & just keep the garden on the incline it's on now. I suppose that would be doable, with drainage being able to run-off straight down & no wall to hold it in at the bottom.

We're open to any options/ideas/input anyone comes up with. Thanks a bunch for the help thus far!!!

tara :)

Comments (6)