SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shellva

Goat poo...what would you do?

shellva
16 years ago

I was so excited. I found a steady supply of goat poop, was told I could take all I wanted. One pile has been sitting and aging for awhile, the other pile is in the process of being added to currently.

When I went to the aged pile it was covered on top and all on one side with dormant bermuda grass. I was sooo disappointed. The other side of the pile didn't have any weeds on it so I took a little from that side but not nearly the amount I had envisioned...okay, fantasized about!

The newer pile was just that. I could smell the poop/urine scent and could see the bedding. I also saw some weeds growing in it. I looked around the pastures and they appeared to be full of bermuda grass, at least to my untrained goat raising eye it did.

I don't have enough browns to compost all the goat poop plus I live in a development with a nazi HOA so I can't have a free standing pile of nothing but the manure sitting there allowing time to do its thing.

Does anyone with manure experience have any suggestions for me? I was thinking about harvesting the newer manure and bedding in the fall and putting it on my veggie beds along with leaves....the sheet composting method. I don't think that will take care of the weeds though. My vegetable beds are pretty weed free. I've worked hard to get them that way and would like for them to stay that way. Do I need to forego this source or are there reliable ways to work with it? Help?

Thanks,

Michelle

Comments (8)