SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakedallasmary

how do I get rid of fleas with no pesticides.

lakedallasmary
15 years ago

I know healthy pets are not infested with fleas from experience. Our cat had fleas, we got rid of them with a pest bomb and flea collars. We switched his food to a better quality and started to let him outside. Sun is needed for good health for any creature. He lived to age ten and never had another flea. He did not wear flea collars after the initial kitten flea attack.

We then got two cats, one came with fleas. Gave her a bath and never a flea again. Really. Until now, she is about 10

years old. The dog had fleas as a pupply, gave him a few baths and no more fleas. until now. He is three.

I wonder what happened. Well two things happened. He is a corgi and has health issues. He has occasional diarrhea, and since feb has been struggling to get rid of a urinary tract infection. The infection happened after my daughter took him to the vet. The vet said he was getting fat. So my kid (22 years old) told me to skip one meal. so I skipped lunch, and just gave him breakfast and dinner. This is technically her dog. She bought him with her high school grad money, but I care for him, and now she has moved to an appt and could no take him due to the rules. After about 1 month of one less meal, he lost no weight, but started to get cranky and got a UT infection. I looked up how much a dog should eat and he was being under fed. UG!

Male corgis should weigh 28-30 pounds. He weighed 33. So I upped his intake of food to somewhere between what he was being fed and the amount that made him ill. He mostly eats a raw food diet.

He is no longer cranky, but still battling the UT infection. By june he was infested with fleas and promptly gave them to the cat. UG. Now I have them. I can't walk across the floor with out getting bit.

I gave him bath after bath and (cat too) and still fleas, then the cat lost some of her hair (flea allergy). Hubby brought the cat to the vet and was given a flea pill, some cream for the bare patch and some advantage to poison the cat and the fleas. I don't like pesticides, but we were infested. I figured just until we can get this under control and find a way to get the animals healthy to try the poison method.

Hubby got some advantage for the dog too.

We began to vacuum every other day. I know you are supposed to do it everyday, but I am a ill person with little energy. Because I am ill, I attract the fleas and have flea bite scars all over me, but my hubby does not get bit.

Anyway, sorry so long, but I am at wits end.

The dog and the cat don't seem to have fleas anymore. I check them and never see a flea, not even one, not guaranteeing that that there are not any. They hide very well.

But, I still get bit from time to time. I guess I need to up my vacuuming schedule.

I suspect the dog got the fleas from the vet. He was fine before that.

Did I mention I hate fleas!

I started just yesterday taking garlic to try to smell bad so the fleas will leave me alone.

Since my kid moved out a week ago, I used that opportunity to vacuum her near empty room. I had 5 fleas jump on me while I was doing so. I did find out till hours later that I had fleas on me, and I picked them off in my bathroom. I think I missed a few since I have been getting bit soon after I go to bed. I think I am getting them from the bathroom, walking around in bare feet. Ug I washed the bath rugs again.

If anyone has more advice please help, even if it is to console me. I itch more that the average sole due to a weak immune system. I have low cortisol, so my body does not control allergic reactions well.

I also ordered some per glandular to try to up the pets immune systems. I am also going to try to give the dog more raw bones. marrow is good for the immune system.

No much I can do for the cat's diet she is addicted to the food she was weaned onto.

Comments (12)