SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carlota_gw

I'm going to try a new type of rose collecting

carlota
11 years ago

Hi All,

I've grown and collected many different roses over the years. I admit to phases of collecting - floribunda's, hybrid teas, minitures, then strips, and "unusual" roses, I once had a large collection of roses all directly related to Playboy. So, in truth, I must admit to having multiple collections with in my whole collection of roses.

Now I have a new wish that I am going to strive to achieve. I want a collection of species roses and it will probably grow from there. There's room here for me to grow them with ease - how can I resist growing ultimate rose parents?

I am struggling with where to start, since its locally grown here I'm thinking maybe Rosa Californica. But since I don't have my book I can't remember if its a true species rose.

While I would normally plant them in the ground, I know some grow very big - would keeping them in pots keep their size more manageable?

Should I start with certain colors? Scents? Size? Growth habits? Anyone who has a cutting they would like to donate is welcome to send me some. : ) I will attempt to return the favor!

I look forward to your help and insights on my new species garden and promise to share photos as it grows!

Carlota

Comments (10)