SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

How to over winter baby Blue Satin Rose of sharon

katrina1
16 years ago

In both spring and fall of 2006 I could not find any blue satin rose of sharon cultivars for sale at our local nurseries.

This is my most favorite bloom of all the locally grown RS shrubs in my area. So in mid-spring this year, just prior to my one and only Blue Satin RS that I am training to grow as a small tree-form, Rose of Sharon started to produce flower buds, I took 4 cuttings and stuck them in pots. They have been rooting on the west side of a privacy fence and under the North east canoply of my mature Scarlet oak tree. This gives them full morning shade, with dappled afternoon shade. They have all rooted and are thriving. I have not fertilized them yet and they have not seemed to produce much new top growth yet.

Since they are rooted nicely now, I am wondering what I should next do for them during, the soon to arrive, fall. What should I be doing for them so they will survive the upcoming winter?

I was thinking of sinking their pots into my azalea peat beds that are growing nearby. Will that be enough or will they also need to be covered with mulch or straw over the Winter? This fall, should I be exposing them to a little more light, and trying to harden them off some?

Or should I simply leave them under the shade tree, and later bring them into the garage every day or night that the forecasts predict temps to drop down to freezing?

I know that the Blue Satin Rose of Sharon is a hardy cultivar, which can survive our winters, but these are still so thin trunked and little, I am certain they are not equipped to handle our winter weather and earlimost springtime thaw and refreeze events.

Should I give them any nonburning Osmokote fertilizer, at this time? They are still in the 6 inch pots where I first plugged them into. Should I repot them into one gallon pots and feed them with some Osmokote?

Please help me with some solid detailed advice on how to proceed. In the past whenever I get to this point in trying to start new plants from cuttings, I generally end up killing the plants by my lack of knowledge on how best to proceed. Please, please help.

Comments (5)