SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

nursery warranties on purchased plants

In another current thread woodyoak wrote: I don't bother keeping receipts - even if there's a warranty, I figure that, if the plant died, it was most likely my fault for either planting something not suitable for where it was placed, or I neglected it! So I have never claimed on a warranty.

I save as many of my plant receipts as I can....actually only those that come with a warranty. And if a perennial plant dies and *if* I have that receipt I will often make a 'claim' (which is a more often than not a credit at the store in question). Now many of my purchases are with independent nurseries which understandably don't have such buyer insurance. For my more expensive purchases, especially trees, I will do all I can to find a source which will provide at least a 1 year calendar warranty. For example late this past fall I made the decision to buy an on sale but still expensive Japanese Maple which I did plant in *November*. For sure this purchase late in the season wouldn't have happened w/o the fall back warranty (in this case 2 years).

I frequent independents for plants which I could never find at box stores or at those very large nurseries.

(Those independents that do offer a warranty often will give you the option of taking 15% off the purchase price to pass on the warranty).

So I wonder how other GW members use or ignore the available warranty on purchased plants? Maybe you only take advantage of it for higher priced items such as trees?

Comments (22)