SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kanuk_gw

Grubs & compost

kanuk
16 years ago

Hey Composters

I've got a question for anyone who might be able to shed some light on it.

Last year we had 19 large trees removed from our lot because they were dead or close to it. One huge old trunk was completely hollow inside. When the workers began cutting cross-sections nearer to the bottom the inside of the truck was filled with " compost ". It had piled up within the confines of the hollow tree trunk(s) over time and looked like a very rich ground coffee. Beautiful. The workers sifted through it and said how nutritious it would be and suggested putting it aside to use for garden projects.

Then a worker dug into a trunk with gloved hands and pulled out a HUGE grub. White, curled and shiny it looked like a big scampy. He told us that these were what helped to manufacture the rich compost inside the tree.

Nice!!

We emptied and saved the compost found inside the hollowed trees. In doing so I kept the giant grubs. Some I left with the composted we kept in containers.

Others ( 3or4 ) I dropped into my compost bin thinking that if they were so capable of doing such a wonderful job inside those trees perhaps they would be of added benefit in the compost bin.

Have I contaminated my existing compost? Have I infested it perhaps with harmful giant grubs that I might introduce into my gardens ( veg/flower ) where they will eat the roots of my plants?

If anyone help me with this dilemma I would appreciate it. At the time I placed the grubs into the compost bin it was already baked and therefore cool and ready to use.

The grubs were placed within the existing compost( bin ) last fall and therefore have been there throughout the winter.( Zone 4 Quebec Canada ) I'm assuming however that if they could survive the winters inside a hollow tree they maybe safe to survive inside the compost bin as well. I don't know...? Do I want them to??

Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)