SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
somethingtohide

Creating drainage in pots

somethingtohide
15 years ago

So I know drainage is a huge plus for indoor plants.

I recently got into this because I wanted to grow sunflowers but it's too cold.

I kinda went the (what I thought) cheap/time/space/efficient route with the pot though.

I got a few types of dwarf sunflower seeds (all which have germinated and been planted).

For the pot I used one of those things that are like giant tupperware containers, we use the for laundry but they're like 66 quart plastic clear tubs with lids.

I put 35 quarts of soil in it and it looks fine. The sunflowers have all sprouted and are about three inches tall right now.

In the beginning, I drilled about ten holes half the size of a dime all around the bin's bottom. It's propped about two inches from the ground and under it is the lid that came with it to catch water.

I've been watering my plants quite a bit. I use a water bottle with a hole poked in the cap and when I squeeze it drips. Not a lot comes out at a time but it soaks the soil and I just eyeball it. So far everything seems alright. I've been watering about once or twice a day depending on how it feels.

The thing is, I have yet to see any water drain out of it. But I have noticed the sides of the container about 1/4 of the way up are wet with condensation. The soil isn't packed into the walls so there's a lot of tiny air gaps kinda like a sponge around the walls. And in these gaps the side has fogged up. I drilled a hole at the bottom on the side and stuck my finger in and the soil is alright moisture-wise. A little damper than the top soil I think.

Is this bad?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor