SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thinkinggreen

Eager. Advice welcome. My story...

thinkinggreen
15 years ago

After lamenting for two years, and reading back posts for at least that long, I have finally decided to make the plunge into HFGH-dom. I think. Help? :o)

Here is what's pushing me towards the endeavor:

1. I hate being run back into my house during the winter anticipating the next growing season.

2. I am looking for ways to have fresh home-grown produce year round.

(Most importantly one of my two children is a vegetarian, and in that regard we can never have enough fresh things around for her to eat. Maybe even teach her a solar/hydroponics growing lesson or three while we are at it!)

3. Canning and drying foods could continue throughout the year if I can continue the growing season.

But, and isn't there always one of those...and I think I have more than one and am hoping you more experienced GH-ers can help me wade through this:

I am concerned a smaller house may not meet my needs(I'm small people so maneuvering about a small space GH is of no concern). Could I produce a fresh stash of veggies throughout the winter for a small family of three?

I am not sure my neighborhood association would allow me to place too large a structure on my small property. I only have neighbors to either side of me. There aren't any houses located behind me.

As a caveat to the above, there are some wild and wacky goings on in other neighbors yards(including out buildings) that are well outside the covenants that I know, factually, were not approved before they were placed onto the properties. But they were allowed to remain. Yes! I will be sure to check with the association before I build. lol

Anyone dealt with this type of concern before and it worked out ok?

I am thrilled to be part of such a great community!

Comments (6)