SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
casadelgatos

Foundation for 10X12 HFGH

casadelgatos
18 years ago

I am going to get one real soon, I just wanted to be 100% certain of where it is going and how before I even order it. I have picked a location that is sheltered on the north and west sides by large and thick magnolias and oaks but wonderfully open to the east and south.

I am thinking I'd like to get the foundation done in advance.I am planning a dirt and gravel floor (some stuff will want to be planted directly in the ground.)

I know milwdave and others used 2x12s or 2x10s for the base and that looks really nice, but I'm wondering about other possibilities.

Like railroad ties. They are about 8" thick if I remember correctly and I'm picturing 2 sets stacked on top of each other with holes drilled through and rebar hammered into the ground through them. It would be extremely sturdy.

Alternatively, I'm thinking about using cinderblocks. Would you need to have some kind of wood between the blocks and the base of the GH? Would you just use masonry screws or something to attach?

What dimensions would you want to shoot for with either method? I am assuming the 120"x144" dimensions for the greenhouse are OUTSIDE measurements? Then would you want that measurement to be the inside of your foundation or the outside or somewhere in between?

I really appreciate ALL answers and comments!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations