SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Purple and gold

melissa_thefarm
10 years ago

They're right about colors that are opposite on the color wheel going well together. Down in the shade garden, the initially not-much-planned color arrangements have gradually morphed into an early-mid spring scheme of yellow and purple. I have a planting of lilacs down there which set the tone, and a yellow-variegated Japanese euonymus that is, so to speak, never out of bloom...that strong almost-gold looks surprisingly good with a variety of color companions throughout the year. There's magenta money plant, a single-flowered kerria, a yellow-foliaged thuja, and the laburnum is starting to get going, and the numerous dandelions are surprisingly effective, if inelegant. I need more yellow. There's a wild shade-loving herbaceous plant that blooms in the woods this time of year that I want to go with the lilacs and money plant: we need to dig some up. And I have a yellow-leaved Coronilla emerus (I read that the common name for this scorpion senna) that should spread some light with its acid foliage with yellow blooms.
The various white flowers that bloom at this time are chromatically innocuous and pleasant in themselves. But now the peonies are starting to flower. Many of these are pink, and that's a problem. Mostly I try to keep them somewhat apart from the violets and lavenders (take my word for it: with the particular shades in question, they don't work together), and fortunately I like pink and yellow, though I admit it's a sugary combination. The scorpion senna is going to mediate between cool pink Paeonia mollis and the two lilacs it's sandwiched between.
There's one red tree peony in vivid proximity to the lilacs and the euonumus, and it looks horrible. At times I'm tempted to think red doesn't go with anything. This fall, if I can get up the energy and the nerve, we're going to dig up the red peony and carry it far, far away, down into the big garden where it can be its handsome self unchecked and even loved for its color, which is deeply unwelcome where it is.
Once the roses take over the color scheme will shift over to mostly pink, and it will be satisfactory still. There's not much bloom in fall, but the crape myrtle, which rarely flowers, colors a handsome red and orange, and there are 'Louise Odier's showy hips and a bit of late color from the clematis and the thuja's color changes from acid green to bronze. A wall of yews provides a dark green background to all this. The shade garden is agreeable at all seasons and through all changes.
Let me hear about your color schemes.
Melissa

This post was edited by melissa_thefarm on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 2:38

Comment (1)