SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tahota_gw

Favorite Heucheras This Season?

tahota
14 years ago

I've noticed several new Heucheras out this season. One that I'm very interested in is Heuchera 'Shanghai'. I'm hoping the leaves really look like the picture (see my link below). A couple of others that I'm excited about are Heuchera 'Berry Smoothie' and Heuchera 'Caramel'. I've order a few of each of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heuchera Shanghai

Comments (70)

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Prairiemoon2, I can identify that cultivar for you. It's called "Electra". It also has some really neat orange veins running through the leaves. Very cool indeed.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

Thanks coolplantsguy! Quite a collection there. I love the 'Electra', 'Midnight Bayou', 'Midas Touch' and 'Sugar Plum' looks interesting. Nice to see what they look like in the tiney, tiny stage. I'm putting that Electra on my list for sure.

• Related Discussions

Favorite Heucheras ?

Q

Comments (40)
    Can anyone tell me how they propagate these? I understand that the species can be broken up and basically divided in place, without worries about losing much. My SIL says that when they begin heaving themselves out of the ground, she plucks off a few woody sections, sticks them into the soil, and, viola, new plants. (Sorry if this is a little far off topic.) Can you do the same thing with the new varieties? I really love the species, with those mottled silvery green leaves and dainty red flowers, so that's what I've got, mostly. I also like *all* the red-leaved varieties, but have shied away from the peachy leaved ones because they seem like they'd look out of place in my garden; I've got enough going on with foliage colors and textures without that particular kind of foliage. Oh heck, maybe next year! As for Palace Purple turning brown, it seems to do that most when it's in too much sun, at least in my garden. I still like it quite a bit in the right setting. My favorite clump of it gets back-lit in late afternoon at certain times of year, and absolutely glows.
    ...See More

Heuchera may displace hostas as my favorites

Q

Comments (12)
    I started a new bed last spring that contains nothing but heuchera, tiarella and heucherella. I have about 50 varieties in this bed and a few in my front bed as well. In this pic, the fuller ones were transplanted from other parts of the garden. The small ones are new. And lemme tell ya, some of the brand new varieties were REALLY tiny! I did lose several this year, however. We had an exceptionally hot streak of weather and I think they bit it from lack of water. My favorites include Brownies... it's got such huge leaves, Sashay.... cool texture Stoplight.... in spring, it has red, yellow and green leaves Obsidian....amazing color Caramel...always looks great and a good grower Georgia Peach....what an amazing leaf color We got our first substantial snow yesterday, so no heuchera pics from right now! Besides, the leaves had already collected around them.
    ...See More

What is your favorite source for heucheras?

Q

Comments (1)
    Plant Delights has some unusual heucheras, but their prices aren't so great. I have never mail ordered from them as they are a local nursery for me and I normally hit at least one of the open house events that they have each season. This year I got 'Mint Frost', 'Frosted Violet' and 'Velvet Knight'. Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Delights
    ...See More

A few favorite heuchera

Q

Comments (7)
    My experience with fall purchases hasn't been good. I don't see what zone you are in, I'm in 5a. In 2014 I purchased about 7 heuchera in October, I won't do that again. They were planted right away. I lost two over the winter and the rest were so small the following spring I thought they were all a loss. The rest did survive but I'm thinking it's going to take at least three seasons to get some size to them. You might fare better buying them now and planting. I have had no problems with spring or summer purchases, they thrive in my yard with little care and some reseed. Here they seem to do best with some sun and drier conditions. Mine get very little extra water. I've had heuchera in my gardens for 15 to 20 years, I probably have about 20 varieties. Unfortunately I don't know the names of the older ones I have. Sherry
    ...See More
  • coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

Or, more correctly, left to right, top to bottom... ;)

• Marie Tulin
    14 years ago

Stormy Seas may not look so exciting next to the new rele ases. But if a silver-red will do, it is very vigorous. It has been surviving in murderous conditions.

There is a British website on heucheras; it has a very extensive list which has comments and ratings by a well known plantsman. I have absolutely no idea who it is. I'm sure he only writes about plants he has grown in his own garden. I'll try and find the site.

idabean

• david_5311
    14 years ago

I love Rave On too, it is a blooming machine, Paris is also a really good bloomer. I like the blooming types more than the strictly foliage types that are shy bloomers. I have been covetting one on the Terra Nova site called Green Spice, have not seen that yet but it looks cool.

Closely related, has anyone grown the Heucherella 'Dayglow Pink'? The pics show it loaded with flowers. I covet that one.

One more question, anyone know how well these can be propagated by cutting? Let's just ask that about heucheras in general, since I am sure it is not legal with the Terra Nova types and some others.......I have certainly divided heucheras but it might be easier to get lots by cuttings.

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

David, I propagate 1000s of 'Plum Pudding' from what are called "cuttings", however I believe the process is more accurately described as "division" still, as what we stick to root is a tiny plantlet from, and including a piece of, the main crown.

I would assume this process could be done with other varieties, although obviously some are better suited than others.

• tahota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have grown 'Green Spice' for years. It is by far the largest of the fancy-leaf types. It was one of Terra Nova's first major Heuchera introductions. The leaves are spectacular and best viewed up close. The flowers are rather unimpressive and weedy looking, and although evergreen, the leaves become a drab brown-gray in cold weather. Many of the newer introductions have 'Green Spice' parentage and improve on 'Green Spice's' qualities like better flower quality and color and wonderful cold-weather foliage color.

• kowalleka
    14 years ago

I have tons of success with rooting "cuttings" of heuchera. I pull off the tiny little plantlets that start to form along the sides of the main plant.

I use a gallon milk jug to root them in. Cut the jug in half almost all the way around. Leave it connected over by the handle so you have sort of a hinge. Poke a few holes inthe bottom for drainage. Fill with about 2" of potting soil. Wet it down and put in the babies. Then close the jug and duct tape along the cut edge. Do not put the cap on the jug. Put in a light but shaded spot. You don't need to water if you do it in the spring. Within a few weeks, they will all be rooted. I like this method because you can plant them and forget them.

• david_5311
    14 years ago

Hey this sounds cool. So do you dig up the plant to find the 'plantlets' around the crown? Or can you just dig around the crown and take them off? I would love to propagate the plants I have.

BTW, what is the best of the fall blooming forms? Being a big believer in fall in the upper midwest garden (or any other temperate garden), I'd love to know those that bloom primarily in fall or are good late-season rebloomers

• kowalleka
    14 years ago

You can find the 'babies' coming out around the crown. No need to dig anything up. I just cut them off and pull off most of the plantlet's leaves (except for one or two).

Rave On blooms for me almost the entire season off and on. And the flowers are by far one of the best. Much bigger than most and bright fuschia. Big hummingbird plant.

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

I believe the ones from TN that are named after cities are all suppose to be long-blooming. Of course, 'Rave On' is not named after a city, at least one that I know. ;) But 'Paris', 'Shanghai', 'Milan', etc.

• marricgardens
    14 years ago

I had a few heucheras but they all died over winter. I think the spot they were in was to wet and they rotted. Now I am building up my 'collection' again and planting them in my new hosta garden. I think heucheras and hostas look nice together. So far I have Mocha, Midnight Rose, Harvest Silver and Venus. Of the original ones, only Frosted Violet & Red Spangles remains because I had them planted in a different bed. I have also planted seeds from a pkg. of mixed heucheras and seeds from Dales Strain.

• terrene
    14 years ago

I would like to get a few more Heuchera cultivars that have nice pink/red flowers and attract hummingbirds. I like the blooms on these plants, and find them even more appealing than the foliage.

Rave on sounds like a good candidate to attract hummers. Any one have other suggestions? Thanks.

• unbiddenn
    13 years ago

'Green Spice' is my favorite.
    'Tiramisu' thrives, but didn't have the outstanding color changes that 'Miracle' is having. WOW!
    'Monet' died, 'Snow Angel' gave me divisions the second year, and lots of them.
    'Sashay' was decimated by the snowblower (my fault for planing a garden and not expecting my husband to snowplow it into mush- he even moved the rock border to do it.) but lives on despite its cruel treatment.
    'Lime Ricky' dies every time I plant it but 'Citronelle' and 'Pistache' light up the back border like a beacons.
    I have browns, but the disappear in the brown mulch.
    I could go on...and on... and on...

• starinasgarden
    13 years ago

Late to the party, but regarding Miracle.. I planted a decent sized Miracle 3 years ago, and it was not miraculous, was thinking of moving it out of sight, boring plant. It began to 'color-up' about 2 weeks ago, and now looks like the photos of it. Apparently, this one needs time. I love heuchera, tiarella, and heucherellas. Strong growers here: blackout, mahogany, carmel, marmalade, dolce peach flambe, rave on, firefly, sashay, and several that I can't remember. Heucherella 'Sweet Tea' is an amazing plant. I have one, planted last year, plan on getting several more. Very strong grower, gorgeous color. Finally got my hands on H. 'Southern Comfort'. Can't wait to see of it gets as big as expected.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    13 years ago

Here are my favorites, took the shots this morning, the angle of the sun is washing them out somewhat - sorry about that.

Silver Scrolls:

{{gwi:201668}}

Plum Pudding (my favorite, hands down):
    {{gwi:201669}}

Green Spice:
    {{gwi:201670}}

• alina_1
    13 years ago

You are a bunch of enablers guys!!! You just made me buy 4 more Heucheras!!! :o)

Here is my report. Almost all dark Heucheras are doing well:

Midnight Rose (love this one):
    {{gwi:201671}}

Stormy Seas is huge, about 2' across:
    {{gwi:201672}}

Blackout (love shiny leaves!) and two baby Sugar Plum Heucheras:
    {{gwi:201673}}

Among orange/peach colored, only 'Christa' and 'Caramel' are good.

Christa:
    {{gwi:201674}}

All yellow and chartreuse (including Tiramisu) are not performing well for me.

And here is my favorite this year - Hercule. It is squeezed between Hosta and Hydrangea; will definitely replant it. It deserves a better spot!
    {{gwi:201675}}

Now, these two are very good, but I lost tags. If someone can help me to ID them, I'll be very thankful!

{{gwi:201676}}

{{gwi:201677}}

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    13 years ago

The first unknown may be Silver Scrolls; refer to my pic above. The pic was taken in the sun, as I mentioned, but during the shadier part of the day it looks just like yours, except I'm not sure if the flower color is the same (I cut them off, I don't like them).

• alina_1
    13 years ago

I think you are right, thanks!!! I compared flowers with pictures online.

And the second one is probably Crimson Curls. I vaguely remember planting it...

• newbiehavinfun
    13 years ago

Hello all! I'm kind of late to the heuchera party, I only have one (Purple Palace) but I'm looking for more (and more and more and more). I was hoping we could categorize the heucheras, kind of like the superlatives in a high school yearbook. What would be your nominees for:

Miss Congeniality
    Wild Child
    Longest Flowering
    Most Likely to Succeed

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    13 years ago

I planted Frosted Violet last year and it's back, nicer than ever. It flowered a long time, very pretty raspberry colored flowers. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Alina 1 -
    Nice photos.
    Where are you, zone and general part of the county? Without that info, I don't know if your recommendations are likely to work for me.
    Thanks.

• alina_1
    13 years ago

I am in MD, zone 6/7. Sorry that I did not mention this.

I've never had issues with Heucheras not being hardy, only with lack of vigor of particular cultivars. I just made a decision to get rid of all yellow/chartreuse varieties. Even the best of them (Lime Rickey) is too weak and finicky to grow. I have very limited space in my garden. I just can't afford to grow duds.

newbiehavinfun,
    I have these nominees for Most Likely to succeed nomination:

Midnight Rose
    Caramel
    Silver Scrolls

I have these varieties for 3+ years. Always neat and good looking babies. It seems that Blackout and Stormy Seas are going to succed as well, but they are only second year in my garden.

• valtorrez
    13 years ago

For those of you in 6 or higher (7,8,9) zones which coral bells do you have that can take more sun? I have some in more shade but have a full sun area that I would love to plant 1 in.

• susie53_gw
    13 years ago

My daughter just bought me Key Lime Pie....

• gottaluvhosta
    13 years ago

kowalka, where did you order your Mardi Gras? I am not having luck finding that one.

Anyone have ideas where to get French Quarter?

Also, if anyone has these two and would like to trade for hostas, let me know!!

Jo

• gottaluvhosta
    13 years ago

Bump

• kathy910
    13 years ago

{{gwi:201678}}

• prairiegirlz5
    13 years ago

aline~The peony in your post (on May 19th) is gorgeous! Do you know the name of it? I couldn't help but notice your lovely collection. Do most of them tolerate some shade?

My favorite new (to me) heuchera is Obsidian. It has really dark, sturdy leaves. I have it in a planter in a sunny spot of my shade garden.

I wish I had bought Midnight Rose when I first saw it, I'm a sucker for maroon foliage, and pink. It's on my wish list.

What are the blooms like on Midnight Rose? I want to try Sugar and Spice tiarella too, it has lots of pink, fluffy flowers.

I say try, because winters here either aren't mild enough, or there's not enough snow cover, to overwinter all of them.

• brit5467
    13 years ago

Gosh.....this post is amazing !! No way I could read ALL the posts, but had to chime in.

I stumbled across this plant by accident, clearance last fall at Lowes', only a couple left. Only got one and regret it now, considering how cheap. Never got it in the ground, stressed out about if it would withstand winter, so just stuck it in my unfinished raised bed and mounded some dirt and leaves around it (didn't think it would make it) and now......WOW !!

It's Purple Palace (which I'm gathering is pretty common) but to me it's beautiful. Can't take pics now, it's almost midnight. But it has flourished. I think it's gigantic !! And I think it's about to bloom. Don't even know what flowers look like so I'm SOOOO excited.

As far as conditions....it seems VERY happy being somewhat in the shade in the AM (due to shade from house) then as sun moves across, it gets afternoon but then back into shade. My house faces E/SE, it's on the southern side of house, and there's a tree behind it that give it dappled western light...so picture that if you can.

But apparently those particular conditions are perfect for it since it's doing so fantastic !!

I'm hooked now, with all the other variations I've seen. Such beautiful pics !!! I want a LIME one !!!

• alina_1
    13 years ago

prairiegirlz5,
    Did you mean this thread? Which Peony? I tried to post names for all pictures I posted in that thread. Tree Peonies do tolerate partial shade. In fact, they fade more slowly in shade. 4 out of 5 of my Intersectionals grow in full sun. 'Bartzella' that grows with some shade is OK, but it is definitely smaller than others. Thanks for your kind words :o)

brit5467,
    I am your neighbor. I will get rid of all lime/chartreuse Heucheras. Weak plants, even the best of them. Fade badly.

I already mentioned that this thread made me buy more Heucheras :) I bought 'Rave On', 'Berry Smoothie', 'Fire Chief', 'Midnight Bayou'.
    All of them look nice, but I was blown away with 'Berry Smoothie'! The color is amazing. I potted this baby up. The pot is in the shady spot under the maple tree next to potted Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola'. This couple glows across the yard!!! I really hope it will perform well...

• anitamo
    13 years ago

That 'Berry Smoothie' is gorgeous! I need to find that one this year. I came across a video that shows how to divide heucheras in case anyone hasn't seen it yet. Look to the bottom left of the linked page to see the icon for the video.

Here is a link that might be useful: dividing heuchera

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    13 years ago

gottaluvhosta, Eminence Meadows carries French Quarter, although they are currently sold out.

Eminence Meadows heuchera page

Kathy, your heuchera are gorgeous. What a amazing grouping.

• alina_1
    13 years ago

Anita,
    I bought my 'Berry Smoothie' at Mason Hollow Nursery.
    I am very pleased with their plants and service.

• anitamo
    13 years ago

Thanks for that tip alina. I'll have to check them out.

• kathy910
    13 years ago

What makes me crazy is trying to find a mail order source that offers a wide variety of heucheras including all the new intros. I end up buying 3 different ones from a source paying $9 to ship 3 4" pots. Have to go to another source and buy 2 others and pay $7 to ship. Yesterday, I visited 4 nurseries and not one had a new intro. I just don't have the time to be on the heuchera hunt on the world wide web all season. (end of rant)

• tepelus
    13 years ago

That's my problem too, Kathy. I want the newest ones, but they are so over-priced for the size, and you pay so much in shipping just a few, and the nurseries around here only carry the most common ones, or they are the ho hum ones I don't care for. I guess that's the price we pay for being collectors. Maybe someone ought to start a nursery that specializes in heuchera and their relatives, with companion plants on the side, and not be over-priced (maybe in a perfect world...lol!).

Karen

• knightfarms_6a
    13 years ago

Here's a creme Brule that I love! She sits in morning sun, then semi shade the rest of the day and is growing beautifully. I will take more pics later, but also have some silver scrolls, caramel, and another purple one(will have to check tag)
    {{gwi:201679}}

• paul_
    13 years ago

Thus far I have been very pleased with Midnight Rose. While the flowers are insignificant (for which reason I just pinch the flower stalks off) the foliage has remained beautiful all summer long -- even out by the birdbath where they get full sun from around 10 am to 3-4pm.

• prairiegirlz5
    13 years ago

yes alina~In this thread, you posted a pic of Midnight Rose, what is the name of the peony? ah sorry if this is OT. :^)

• alina_1
    13 years ago

Next to Heuchera Midnight Rose is 'Singing in the rain' Peony :)

• summermusicz4ia
    13 years ago

Sorry some of you don't have nurseries with the newer heucheras. I bought 6-8 newer varieties at mom & pop nurseries, local HyVee grocery store, big box stores last year & this year. Currently our Wal-Marts have big pots of Caramel, Blackout & Beaujolias (sp?) for $5 each, I bought all 3 varieties. My local large, "real" nurseries carry very few new ones...go figure.

• DYH
    13 years ago

TN sent me a few varieties to trial this summer, but the delivery guy left them on the sunny side of my house instead of the shade! I received the plants only a few days before I went on vacation for 12 days!

Nonetheless, the tiny plugs are all well and happy in spite of the early abuse and neglect. I've just plunked them in the same bed with pulmonaria, ferns, hydrangeas and pieris -- since I was in a hurry due to my trip.

Heucherella 'Sweet Tea'
    Heuchera 'Midnight Bayou'
    Heuchera 'Shanghai'
    Tiarella 'Happy Trails'

When I get the time and the weather isn't so hot and humid, I'll try to work them into a real design situation. That said, all except for 'Sweet Tea' (a soft apricot-rust color) look great with the pink tinge of the Japanese Painted Fern, the silver-green leaves of pulmonaria 'Silver Bouquet' and purple foliage of Persian Shield.

• gottaluvhosta
    13 years ago

Thanks a2zmom. I will check with them later this month!

Jo

• kelsey_grow
    13 years ago

I love Silver Scrolls and it does well in the sun for me. I have not seen "Prince" mentioned; I have six HUGE gorgeous plants that I planted two years ago. LOVE this type! I also am a fan of Creme Brule.

• nutmeg4061
    13 years ago

This overseas site has a nice collection. Heuchera lovers should find something to swoon over, I did!
    Check out Heuchera 'Binoche'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heuchera pics

• unbiddenn
    13 years ago

So I am reading along here, and see someone mention a heuchera I have never even heard of (??) 'Binoche', thats diffrent... I thought I had coveted nearly every coral bell out there. Looking it up (immediatly) I find Engels, of course its somewhere overseas, and I will probably never find the cultivars, but have you SEEN heuchera 'red dress'??
    That and the fact that TN sends wonbyherwits trial plugs (gasps) has completely ruined my day. I am SO jealous...

• DYH
    13 years ago

unbiddenn -- i'm a garden writer (in addition to a blogger). Many nurseries select garden writers to trial the plants in real-life gardens in different zones and growing conditions. The public benefits from our work.

That said, we don't get to select the plants or colors. The heucheras showed up without any prior notice. I take no heroic measures to get a plant through a trial. I just plant, document and wait.

Writer's ethics -- We ALWAYS disclose anything that was free.

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

here's a link to alan armitage's Fine Gardeing video on heuchera trials and favs.
    best,
    mindy
    www.cottonarboretum.com/

look at the video choices below the featured video- 'heucheras' is there.

Here is a link that might be useful: alan armitage heuchera video

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus