SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laserfan

Freezing Rain and 10x12 HFGH!

laserfan
17 years ago

Here in TX rain accompanied by 24-26F temps are causing trouble for our HFGH. The only Good news of this situation is that our new Oregon Scientific Weather Station alarmed at the reasonable hour of 8pm, signalling freezing temps in our heated GH. Something's wrong, it's been in the low 40's inside there all day long despite the mid-20s outside.

Maybe the pilot light blew-out? Ran-out of propane? Nah, this is the first really cold weather we've had--we've only turned the heater on once before in fact! Bundle-up and get out there, thank goodness the rain/sleet has let-up a bit. Good grief, the doors are frozen shut! Get a torch. No, get a hairdryer, the torch will melt the polycarb! Apply hairdryer to center of doors, where foam weatherstripping is frozen together. Seems like forever to get that thawed; doors still don't move! Water collected in lower track & froze! Get the torch out, use it on the track, finally get the door open far enough to get in. Now in DON'T SHUT THE DOOR BEHIND YOU!!! It will freeze you-in for good!

Ok try the heater; it lights for a few secs then burns-out. Check the tank outside. Empty! I'll change the tank, you get an electric heater! Tank changed, electric heater in place, hold thumbs that these survive the night!

Our heater is only 10K BTU, and it's got a thermostat so it only runs near the freezing mark, but still it's obvious that a small 20lb-er is inadequate for this GH.

But the main point of my post is to warn about the track freezing. You can NOT get in with the track solid with ice! I haven't figured-out yet what-if-anything can be done to avoid this problem. Maybe we don't care so long as it's warm inside, huh.

Definitely the propane-running-out thing is a problem, but at least a remote sensor and alarm can alert you to do something about it. I guess we gotta look into a bigger tank...

Comments (23)