SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Dreams of an Ocala Historic Rose Garden

sherryocala
11 years ago

When Cydney Wade gave me the Cemetery Rose DVD from her trip to the Heritage Rose Foundation annual meeting in Sacramento last October, I put it on my desk and never watched it... until today at the Marion County Rose Society meeting. With teary eyes and a racing heart I felt that I knew my calling - finally. I feel sort of silly saying it, but I've thought for a long time that Ocala needs a City Rose Garden of Old Garden Roses, and today I spoke with our president and Carol and Cyd and they feel the same way and want MCRS to be involved.

My first thought was to run down to the city offices tomorrow and make my case, but after googling Ocala cemeteries and parks and history I realize I have more homework to do than to simply hand the city official the DVD and say "wouldn't this be lovely for our city?"

So, naturally, I'm turning to all of you for your wisdom and brilliance and ideas. I know there will be obstacles and red tape and talk of nematodes. Barbara Oliva said it took years to get Sacramento's garden settled in, and I want to learn from Anita and everyone out there from their experience.

Also, MCRS is in the planning stages of our November meeting which coincides with the Heritage Rose Foundation's annual meeting in Lakeland that the Central Florida Heritage Roses Society is hosting. We're thinking of having a tea there on campus, so I'm excited that I will finally get to meet some of you. I missed Anita a couple of years ago. Hopefully, everyone will come!!

Well, you can tell I'm excited, and now I need to follow through and get to work. Somebody point me in the right direction!!

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting