SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gka61

Help! My fish are dying

gka61
15 years ago

I am hoping someone can help me. This is the first winter with our 6x8 pond. The depth runs from about 6 inches to about 2 feet. I had a comet, shebunkin and one koi. They had a very happy summer and a good fall. When the temperature got close to freezing here in the Chicago area, we turned off the pumps and put in a deicer.

The fish enjoyed the deicer, hanging out underneath, leaving once in a while to go under a shelter in the deep end.

For the past couple of weeks, I noticed the comet wasn't hanging out with the others and looked a bit pale. Two days ago, I noticed he was barely moving and was covered with a white, slimy looking film that was just hanging off his body. I removed him and put him in an aquarium and started some fungal medication. He has gotten worse and is now floating upside down in the aquarium.

Meanwhile, the koi started acting strangely and today I found him at the bottom of the shallow end of the pond, upside down, barely moving. I don't see any of the same slime that I see on the comet. The shebunkin seems OK so far.

The ammonia level is fine and the deicer is doing a good job of keeping a big hole in the ice. What is going on? What can be affecting them?

I am very saddened by this. I feel like such a pondkeeping failure! If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Gail

Comments (4)