SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dragon9_gw

ammo-lock 2 use in winter pond?

dragon9
16 years ago

Hi - Does anyone know any reason/have any experience NOT TO ADD API's AMMO-LOCK 2 to a winter pond (water temp 34-35F) reading 0.5ppm Ammonia?

I have very successfully over-wintered fish in various ponds in this frigid winter climate for over 10 years, have not lost a single fish in 8 years (before that it was because the water was too warm!) For some reason I decided to test the ammonia today (never have before) and found it reading 0.5 ppm by API's Ammonia test kit (fresh reagents). Nitrite is 0, so the retarded biofilter is stuck converting ammonia to nitrite at this water temp - very cold! The pond is totally frozen over with ice several inches thick, gas exchange accomplished by an Allied Precision Pond-Breather, which is keeping oxygen saturation at 90+/-% at 2 feet below the ice (today it reads 10ppm with a temp/salinity/elevation-adjusted max of 11.6ppm, 86% saturation.) So there's theoretically plenty of oxygen for fish and biofilter - but they're all in hibernation!

I cannot change the water of a frozen pond, so adding AMMO-LOCK seems a reasonable alternative, unless anyone understands this is NOT a good idea to tie up the ammonia in a non-toxic form (which is what AMMO-LOCK does) at this temp. with at least 3 months of these temperature conditions prevailing yet ahead - maybe 5 months (i.e, it will be April or May before the biofilter has a chance of getting going again - let alone pumps and filters!)

Ammo-Lock is designed to let the conversion of ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate proceed unhindered by the biofiliter, it just makes the ammonia non-toxic to the fish's gills, etc. (I don't understand exactly how.) So it is NOT an ammonia ABSORBER like chips, Ammo-Lock CONVERTS ammonia into a non-toxic form, yet to be converted by the biofilter (which obviously doesn't work at this water temp!) to non-toxic nitrate. I have also asked API by email. I look forward to learning something. Thanks for your insights - Ron

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert