SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosesinny

Roses to give away in NYC

rosesinny
15 years ago

I have a few roses that need new homes. I'm in a Brooklyn Brownstone and the roses are much bigger than they were supposed to be. It's not such a big deal - I still have about 44 in a small garden, but these have simply outgrown their homes. They are all own-root.

Vineyard Song - it's a fairly recent introduction by Ralph Moore, Meant to be in the lavender color family, it's actually more of a cool pink that blooms in tight clusters of small but very fluffy flowers, somewhat like grape clusters. It sprawls a bit, forming a mounding plant about three or four feet in all directions. Not too thorny but it is a rose after all.

Dixieland Linda - it's a sport of the better known Aloha, which is a fairly large multi-petaled pink rose. David Austin used Aloha to breed many of his English roses - big, fluffy, fragrant roses. Dixieland Linda is identical to Aloha in all respects except the blooms have a slightly orange hue rather than being pure pink. Quite fragrant. Some people use it as a small climbing rose but is really a large shrub rose.

Pleasantrie - this is pretty much unknown. It was bred by a Hungarian breeder from what is thought to be one of the world's oldest roses - Mutabilis, also known as the butterfly rose. A single. Blooms start out yellow but the sun turns them pink and you have several colors of bloom on the rose at once. In the spring it is covered with blooms. This rose is very similar to Mutabilis and I can't really tell the difference. It's supposed to be a bit brighter in coloring, but you'd have to see them side by side to notice. This rose was supposed to be a large shrub, like the one above, but it grows into a monster climber. If you have a wall or fence you want covered, plant it there. I had no idea it would be so big.

Braveheart - from Heirloom Roses. A medium sized shrub that has big fragrant very dark red blooms. I gave it to someone a few years ago but apparently didn't get all of the roots because I have it again. It's actually quite beautiful, but not in a good place.

Something I rooted and forgot. I think it's going to be Awakening, which is a pink climber, but I can't remember what it was. It's small now but if that is what it turns into, it's going to be big.

I may get rid of Phyllis Bide too. It's just too crowded in that corner now.

Comments (9)