SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indycat_gw

Anyone had a Snapping Turtle in their pond?

indycat
14 years ago

Sunday evening I was checking my larger pond as I had just added the deicer and some aeration. I spotted a turtle in the bottom and from what I could tell I am almost certain it is a snapper. The turtle is about 10 inches long and 8 inches wide, so good sized. I live in the county and there are some lakes and streams in the area, and it probably came from there. I am not certain how long it has been in the pond, but all my koi are accounted for. Because of the ice forming on the top of the pond, and the size of the pond (22,000 gallons) I donÂt think I can get the turtle out until Spring. I have a few patches of hornwort in the bottom and last I saw the turtle it was going under the plants. I called the Department of Natural Resources, and talked to someone who said the turtle would "not eat much" in the winter, but might get one or two of my frogs or koi. She also thought how "neat" it was that the turtle had found such a nice winter home. Has anyone had a snapping turtle overwinter in their pond and if so how much damage did it do? Also anyone know how I can get the turtle out of the pond without damaging my koi and frogs?

Comments (15)