SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

greenhouse/solarium combo

14 years ago

My wife wants a solarium or "four-season" room on the back of the house. I wanted a small greenhouse mainly to grow a few citrus and start some seeds - so we thought - what if we made a lean-to greenhouse that's "stylish" enough to double as a solarium? I'm not looking for heavy amounts of plants, probably just a few citrus and bananas, a small area for seed starting, and then some decorative plants, chairs, table, etc. Probably about 20' deep X 25' Long, south-facing. Obviously, I'll keep the plants in decorative pots to make it more "livable" than I would in a straight greenhouse.

I was thinking using polycarb for the roof to provide a little attenuation of summer sun, but glass walls to allow a view and more direct winter sun. It'll be heated regardless, probably just enough to stay above 40 at night and maybe low 60s during the day so it's useable as a solarium but not so expensive to heat.

Would such a structure be feasible and has anyone here done this? What kind of heating would I need, and, in my area where summer temps frequently break 90, is there any feasible way to keep it cool enough to not bake ourselves or our plants?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions