SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
j0novision

Litany of questions from first year gardener

j0novision
13 years ago

Good morning friends,

Last year I planted 4 flower beds in my back yard. I've got a range of pretty low-maintenance plants. I do have some questions, as I know in a few weeks I may have to pull the trigger on getting to work back there:

1. Green velvet boxwoods: I have read online that in order to get nicer, bushier boxwoods you should pinch off the ends of the shoots as they climb toward the sky, so that the lateral buds will grow instead. Does this apply to every shoot on the bush or just the tallest center shoot of each plant?

2. Coneflowers: Do coneflowers only come back each year because their seeds fall to the ground from the older dead plants in the fall/winter? I ask because I put some of that black weed guard material down underneath my multch, and I was thinking maybe the seeds wouldn't be able to fall all the way down into the soil.

3. Knock-out roses: I was told to cut these back to about 8 inches tall in the spring. The only reason I was given for this was to control the overall size of the bush. Does this jive with what others here would do? Originally I had planned on not really taking much off the bushes which are about 2 feet tall right now.

4. Little zebra grasses: Two questions, A) I bought three of these but planted them in one mound as opposed to spacing them out by 18 inches as I was told to do. Is this going to be a major problem? B) Do I need to cut these down to the ground in a few weeks?

5. Hinoki false cypress: Are there any simple rules to follow for pruning this plant? During its first season in the ground last year, some of the lower areas turned brown and I pinched off the dead brown bits, but other than that I have not touched it.

That's it for now! Thanks a lot. I'm new to this board but I am loving the vibe,

Jonathon

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022