SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victorian_bellefonte

Starting over~New house, new pile...

Hello,

I have been sitting here shredding about 5 months of paper, getting ready to build a compost pile. We just moved from PA to WV in August, leaving behind a luscious compost pile with strict instructions for the buyers to keep it going, and a promise from the neighbors to keep an eye on the pile and the new neighbors. If only I could have brought it with me!

It took re-reading the "You may be a Compost Wacko" post to get me going...but I'm feeling up to it now!

So I am starting fresh. Fortunately, we acquired three poop-making machines (horses) after moving, and I have begun to build up a nice pile of just manure. I have been putting all my compostables into two aerated plastic garbage cans for now, since I don't have a real bin built.

Is this a good time to start the compost pile, or should I just wait for spring? I don't know if I can get anything decomposting when it is 32 degrees...

Also, has anyone tried to compost Bounty paper towels and Puffs Plus tissues? I haven't before, but I thought I'd try unless someone had determined that the have a synthetic fiber.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Comments (2)