SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lady_iduna

small subaquatic leaves on water lily

lady_iduna
13 years ago

I have a couple of tropical water lily corms, which I have kept in fistanks (one foot deep max) and small pot ponds (around a cubic foot) over the last 2 years.

They produce leaves and even a few whole plants which I have propagated, however they refuse to grow into a full plant!

In the ponds, the corms form only small subaquatic leaves either from the corm itself or with a 2cm max stalk, same with the propagated ones, whereas in the fishtank, (where there is a fluoro light but which is seldom used) they were slightly more successful, forming surface leaves and roots, but not becoming very strong..and giving up the surface leaves when moved to a pond..

All the other plants in the ponds and tanks are doing their brilliant thing, and the water quality is good...

I keep the ponds in full sun, but have tried them in semi shade, scratching my head, which makes no difference..

I thought it may be an overwintering effect as I have seen tropicals do this in the colder months, but as I live in the subtropics I can't imagine this is the reason year round..

I thought maybe it's the size of the pond???

Please help me to clear the frustration and love my lily once more!!

Cheers :)

Comments (3)