SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupshaped_roses

So many roses killed this winter

cupshaped_roses
12 years ago

After 2 long hard winters - that were really hard on most roses, we finally had a milder winter - with only 2-3 weeks where the temps were under 0F. The roses that struggled during the last 2 winters, and had to be pruned to the ground and only put out a few new canes last spring and summer - all looks worse than ever - and many roses are completely brown/black - Dead! I think I will need to replace about one third of my roses - which would not be bad, if I had 3 or 10 roses - but I grow more than 500. Many older Austin roses are gone - while most of the newer Austin have survived well with many green canes left. Worst affected as a class is China Roses - they are all brown/black and have no green cane left - while most modern shrub roses have survived and have some green canes left. Best of all have been Bourbon, Damasks and Hybrid Perpetuals and of course Albas,Gallicas and Moss Roses - they look well. It is very frustrating, but in the future I will plant hardier roses and winterize better - I am sure many gardeners in colder climates can relate to the frustration of roses being lost.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living