SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Mannerly doorway rose for PA zone 6

rosefolly
11 years ago

As a gift to someone who would enjoy a rose, but who is not especially a gardener, I'm looking for suggestions. This is a humid summer climate with mostly zone 6a winters, and perhaps occasionally a more serious cold spell that feels like zone 5b.

The rose will get watered and fertilized. It will not be sprayed, so it has to be very disease resistant. It probably will not get reliable winter protection. On the other hand, planted close to the house it will get some radiated heat from the foundation. Repeat bloom would be good, given that it will be planted in a prominent place. It should not quickly outgrow its spot, so nothing especially big. No climbers or octopus shrubs. The future owner would be willing to cut out dead wood and do a light shaping, but would not be into serious pruning. The rose does not have to be old, though that would be a bonus, and I do not have any color restrictions.

Here in California I might choose a nice polyantha or perhaps a modern shrub for such a situation, but I no longer know what does well in Pennsylvania. It would be nice to get something a bit more interesting than the Knockout roses. Suggestions, please?

Rosefolly

Comments (9)