SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sushi_deluxe

will my viburnums cross-pollinate?

18 years ago

Hi! This is my first GW post. I have read most of the threads of viburnums, and I think I get it.

I am working with a landscaper and we are putting in a new bed next week after the next heat wave ends. (Sigh. Lots of soaker hoses this summer.) In one spot, we are going to put in two Blue Muffins and either a Chicago Lustre or an Autumn Jazz. In another spot across the backyard, we are going to put in a Juddii.

Based on my reading, I think the Blue Muffins and CL or AJ should cross pollinate--I think they are the right species and hopefully should overlap in bloom. Can anyone confirm this for me?

I don't think either of those will cross pollinate with the Juddii. So I think that for now I will just hope that one of my neighbors has a pollinator, or else I will plan to add a pollinator in the future. But if anyone has any suggestions for a compact pollinator for the Juddii, I would really appreciate it.

On another note, I'm curious about something. I really like my landscaper and I think she has a talented eye for design. But she didn't really know what I was talking about when I discussed cross-pollinators for viburnums with her, and she called a friend who workes at the Chicago Botanic Gardens who also wasn't too sure. The friend did some research online (probably ended up here--hah!) and confirmed it. But my landscaper told me I was overthinking things. She says she plants tons of viburnums and never has a problem. (But maybe she doesn't have a problem because there are tons of viburnums in the neighbors' yards?) My question is: Do you think that information on viburnum cross polination is common knowledge, or at least should be among professional landscapers?

Thanks in advance!

Rachel

Comments (8)