SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Using cardboard for weed control

bookjunky4life
12 years ago

I am collecting cardboard boxes to use for weed control under straw in my veggie garden. I have one 60'x100' garden which is my main veggie garden and an additional 38'x91' veggie garden. As you can imagine this may require a lot of cardboard. I tend to plant rows as close together as possible because although I have lots of garden space, I also plant a LOT of veggies. I usually plant things like green beans and corn in rows about two feet apart. I like more space between my tomatoes, so like 3 feet between plants in the row. The boxes my MIL saves for me at her job are broken down already but tape, stickers, etc. are not peeled off. I plan on prepping my cardboard by each batch I get from her once a week. Would it be wise to go ahead and start cutting boxes down to 2 or 3 foot widths so they will be precut and ready to lay down in between the rows? If I try to do this all at once, its going to be overwhelming. I realize I may not get enough cardboard to do 100% of my gardens but if I could even do half, then I can lay just straw on the rest or at least keep up by hand weeding it. I weeded sometimes 6 or more hours a day, even on a work day where I am gone 9 hours, last summer and still it was overgrown with weeds. I made myself crazy trying to keep up. I do have some newspaper that I plan on using but it won't go very far in my huge gardens.

Comments (27)