SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gpburdell

Why OGR nurseries are closing

15 years ago

Since getting into OGRs, I've been using this website as a source of information. A common theme is "Oh, NO, another nursery has closed." Based on what I've seen, I'm not surprised. Many of the nurseries seem to be run at the level of a garage industry, rather than a real small business. They've expanded to web-based sales to increase their business, and don't bother to do the work to have a viable e-business. Some of the problems I've seen:

-- Terrible web page design and function. If they want a real presence on the Internet, they should spend the $$ required to have a real website rather than having their nephew BillyBob throw together something with Frontpage that people with Macs and Linux machines can't use. A lot of the websites are out of date or don't function well. We won't even go into the poor human factors employed. Have a problem with money? You could probably find some decent developers out there who would barter their services in exchange for roses. And get some photos of ALL those roses---if the company doesn't have time to take the photos themselves, they could solicit them from customers. Look at all the photos on HelpMeFind.com--people love to get their pictures out there. Some of the websites are so poorly organized that they're practically unusable--and I don't use them.

--Poor communication. If you run an ebusiness, answer your email within 24 hours. No excuse to do otherwise. You ARE supposed to be a legitimate business, aren't you? email is a legitimate form of communication, and if you're serious about customer service you'll use it. Want your customer to call you? Get an 800 number. At least publish times that people can contact you. Some of us are in other states, work off shifts, or have employers who don't let us make long distance calls. If we know WHEN we can call you and really expect an answer, we'll be more likely to do so. If you don't want to deal with the realities of ebusiness, peddle your wares locally. Don't expect customers on the other side of the country to cut you slack just because people on GardenWeb say you're such a nice person.

As for the GardenWeb folks, just because you've never had a problem with a particular nursery doesn't mean other people don't have legitimate issues with them. If someone buys a plant from a nursery and it dies once it's past the warranty, their contract with the company says "too bad, so sad." Just because YOU know the owner personally and think s/he's the greatest thing since sliced bread doesn't mean a poster should be villified for saying "these plants die just past the warranty date, and I think that stinks!" Hey, my car died just past the warranty date--I think I'll call GM and tell them they need to replace it! Yeah, like THAT will happen. Those of us who order from across the country don't know these people from Adam's housecat. They've posted their warrantees online, and there's no reason to believe they'll make a special case just for us. A lot of us don't have the time or energy to tilt at windmills. We expect professional behavior and healthy plants when we give these people our money.

Small rose nurseries will probably need to have an Internet presence to expand their customer bases and stay in business. If they don't want to put the effort into behaving like professionals, don't be surprised when they shut down.

Comments (29)