SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ivyzmama9

Pavers - our sand fell through our gravel immediately

Ivyzmama9
12 years ago

Help.

We are laying a 400 sq ft brick paver patio in NJ. We laid 6 inches of 3/4 gravel, well compacted with a rented plate compactor from HD. We nailed an edge in, shoveled in sand across the first couple of feet of the patio, screeded it to about 1.5 inches deep, carefully laid about 18 inches worth of bricks on it (it looked great) & went to bed. We did not try to tamp or compact the bricks or anything like that. We figured we'd do that all at once at the end of the project. Next day (today), we could see that the sand edge sticking out past the pavers we laid had fallen through the gravel. When we pick up the pavers, we find that the sand fell through in holes under many pavers as well, too. It did not rain overnight - it was not windy - the weather's been great. What the heck did we do wrong? I know to get "coarse sand," not play sand. The very large locally-owned landscape place that I bought the pavers, gravel & sand from said they only have 1 kind of sand, so I figured it was the right kind & bought it. (They also sell "play sand" in bags - but they only have 1 kind of sand that gets delivered in a dump truck). They use it in the patios they install, so I'm really hoping this is not a "wrong kind of sand" issue (but then every kind of sand is rather fine anyway, right? I mean, that's what makes it "sand.") So, does anyone here have any idea what we're doing wrong? I know a lot of people use 3/4 "mixed" with fines in it. The guy who helped us out by digging the hole with his backhoe told us not to use this "road base" with fines but to get straight 3/4 gravel for better drainage as we have really heavy clay soil. (We're not in the sandy part of NJ.) So we got the straight 3/4 gravel. Just saying, just in case that's part of the problem. Thank you to anyone who has experience with laying paver patios who has a suggestion for us.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH