SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

So, Pokeweed dilema...

10 years ago

I know this isn't an ID request, but since Pokeweed comes up so much here and there's people here who have strong opinions...

To lead in here, I live in Chicago. I have lived here my whole life. I have never seen pokeweed nor had heard about it till I started hanging around this forum. I know it's native to Illinois, but I've never come across it ever.

So I'm walking down the alley with my dogs today, and out of the corner of my eye I catch sight of this small plant-- green leaves, reddish stem. Turn to get a clear look and there is a tiny pokeweed (6" tall at best) growing through a crack in the concrete in the alley. It had one flower spike at the top, no doubt at all what it is. I've seen enough photos of it here. I don't know where it came from.

Here's the thing... it's not on my property, but technically, it's also not on anyone's property. It's in a city alley. So I'm thinking maybe next time I'm going down that alley I might just bring a scissors and at least snip that sucker so it doesn't flower and put out any seeds.

I know it's native but I'm thinking the last thing we want is that seeding all over the neighborhood. Maybe it's too late and it's all over someone's yard. I'm going to be keeping a careful eye out for it in mine from now on.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES