SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_mickleson

Technical ?'s re: concrete & breaking up tiles for small patio

Karen Mickleson
18 years ago

Below are photos of 1) a small patio I'm wrestling with how to fill in, and 2) some 16" tiles I scrounged & am considering using. My ideas change daily as I discover new options. Today's discovery is the idea of simply filling in the shape with concrete & using ferrous sulphate to stain it. Yesterday's was to break up the tiles into more organic shapes & use them mosaic-style on top of decomposed granite, adding pebbles in spaces between. Now I'm wondering about filling in with concrete & setting tile pieces into the concrete, & then using ferrous sulphate to color the concrete between the tile pieces. [This idea sounds like a more stable surface, since the tile pieces might be apt to crack more easily on DC than if set in concrete.]

Each option raises technical questions I could use help with.

1. What makes concrete come out smooth on top? Is it related to the type of concrete used or a process done to it or both? Staining w/ferrous sulphate works best on smooth surfaces, so whether I just use concrete for the whole thing, or as something to set the tile into, I need it smooth.

2. When I go to the supply store, there are several types of concrete. Is it all gray, or is some whiter or lighter gray? This would relate to the color I get after applying FeS.

3. Regarding breaking up the tiles, I have a chisel, tile nippers and a mallet. I'm wondering if there are techniques or tips for breaking the stuff up into shapes I want. I'm aiming for more pieces with rounded edges, especially for the roundish borders of the patio. Do I just hammer at it & hope for the best, and then use the nippers to take off corners? This particular tile seems quite layered & almost flaky.

All answers, input & brainstorming will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Karen

{{gwi:287126}}

{{gwi:287127}}

{{gwi:287128}}

Comment (1)

Sponsored