SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myoneandonly_gw

Mommy, where do worms come from?

myoneandonly
16 years ago

Well, if I asked my mommy, she wouldn't know either, but you folks probably do. I've lived here for six months and haven't seen a worm yet. When the bulldozers came in to dig for the septic system, the soil profile in the six foot deep holes looked like cocoa, dark red with some thin layers of lighter brown material toward the top-not a rock, nor a stone did I see. A local farmer cut, windrowed (is that a word), and baled the grass for his cattle for five years that I know of. He didn't this fall because the grass got such little rain, he didn't think it was worth it. We had it bush hogged (love that term) and the grass was left laying on the field. Is this ok? Will it be the start of some natural composting? It's ten acres, so I can hardly rake it. The field is basically a monoculture of grass (don't know what kind), with some wildflowers like common milkweed, bachelor's buttons, mullien. Years ago cattle may have been grazed here. I say that only because a lot of people around here keep beef cattle and because there are remnants of barbed wire and posts around the perimeter. I don't know for sure. Could tobacco have been grown here? Sometimes I smell a strong tobacco smell after it rains, which it hasn't much until the last two weeks or so. Back to my question, how can I get worms to come to my soil. I have a small compost effort under way, but with only the food scraps of two people, it is pretty puny. Is this like a "build it and they will come" thing or do I need to buy worms and start a vermiculture project? I'm a suburban girl and where I've lived previously, the worms were just there. I never thought about them before. Oh, there are some icky looking chubby white grubs. I'll bet by the look of them, they're not good. Maybe they chased all the worms away.

Comments (14)