SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexis717_df

Blue Girl going native, and other oddities

alexis717_df
15 years ago

3-4 weeks ago I planted 3 Blue Girl Hollies (Ilex x meserveae)3-4' tall, and 1 baby blue boy. I noticed in passing the other day that one of the girls had dropped some leaves. I realize even evergreens drop leaves so I wasn't overly concerned. However today I noticed a couple dozen more on the ground. Upon handling, gently, the limbs of this holly dozens and dozens of leaves just fell off. Completely de-nuding several branches. The leaves look very healthy, very green and soft. The branches they came off also look very healthy. I see no bugs or any other obvious problems.

I planted these along with a dozen or so other shrubs in a sandy loam that I had trucked in. I bought an electronic soil tester prior to planting. I tested three separate batches and the PH range was 5.8 - 6. The tester also indicated that nutrient levels were low. I have not added any fertilizer to the soil at all. All are planted on north side of home, but far enough away from any structures to receive any real shade, although all are large enough that they shade their own roots. All have basins which I fill 2x, 2x a week. Being concerned that these shrubs would receive enough water in winter I also installed short sections of PVC pipe so I could get water down at the root level. These also get filled 2x, 2x a week.

I also have some Kalmia Latifolia that is starting to get lots of yellow leaves on the inside of the shrub and a couple Viburnum Rhytidophyllum who's evergreen leaves are starting to yellow and curl. My Heptacodium and a couple Wiegela are staring to get purple tones to the leaves.

I have a couple hydrangea paniculata, skimmia's, cotinus purple smoke and others planted in my native soil and they are all doing wonderfully.

I'm at my wits end. Did I water too much/not enough. Is it the soil. Do I need to prune the girls or will the naked branches leaf out (oh, they do have new leaves at the tips, but thats a lot of naked branch inbetween).

I know this was long and a lot to read but I greatly appreciate any and all help or suggestions.

Comments (5)