SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryjatkinson_gw

Flagstone over existing pebble patio

maryjatkinson
13 years ago

My husband and I purchased our first home recently, a 1982 "mock-torian" with a pool and large patio in back. The pool was added sometime in the late 90's or early 00's. The patio area surrounding the pool is river rock/pea gravel - not sure of the technical name (little tiny rainbow-colored rocks set in cement).

We would like to update the patio area without ripping out the existing pebble, and were told by a contractor-on-the-side friend that we could do natural flagstone directly on top of it.

I would love to have the flagstone set on top of some sort of sand or dirt rather than mortar, and then fill in the cracks with soil and plant Blue Star Creeper.

My questions are:

1) Can flagstone be installed over an existing pebble patio without using mortar (using a sand/dirt instead)?

2) Not sure what to do about the border around the pool... The flagstone patio would end up being higher than the existing border (which appears to be some sort of stone currently). Should we just put soil next to the existing border and plant the creeper so that it grows right next to the border? Or should we rip out the existing border and install something thicker so that the new flagstone patio would be flush with the new border?

Here is a photo of the pool/patio: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ayu9igMLsy17zUm5tn4SuQ?feat=directlink

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions