SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hbwright_gw

Frog people---Frog with colorectal prolapse.

hbwright
14 years ago

We have a colony of leopard frogs living in the pond this year. The dad has been around by himself for the 3 years up until he was able to add to his family. I was so happy to have my first set of eggs and even after thinking they were all eaten we have at least 10 or so babies now happily living in the pond. I've seen 3 larger ones, one of them obviously the original and 1 maybe a female. A couple weeks ago I noticed the 3 together and one of them had a red ball hanging out the back. Just today it hopped up on a rock and I could see there is a definite colorectal prolapse, the intestine obvious. It seeems to be surviving but I know it is uncomfortable and I worry about infection. After seeing it I talked to my husband about euthanizing him/her but want some more experienced (or any experienced) opinions. We have no idea how to humainly euthanize a frog but care about these fellows enough to not see them suffer. This one looks very thin and unhealthy aside from the prolapse but is still getting along fine, doesn't seem lethargic and moves fine. What do we do with him/her?

Comments (3)

• catherinet
    14 years ago

I wonder if you could gently push it back in? Have you tried calling some place like PetSmart or Uncle Bills that sells frogs? Have you done an internet search about how you might deal with it?
    I'm sorry I don't know how to humanely euthanize them.
    Good luck!

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    14 years ago

your post has gotta be a first for the garden web pond forum!

i had a hen with the same problem, used vaseline on my rubber-gloved finger and pushed the prolapse back in and all was fine again for her- she even continued to lay eggs.

a frog tho?- hmmmm. i donno. maybe IF you can catch it, use vaseline on a q-tip and try to poke the prolapse back in place? i'm very unclear about a frog's personal anatomy tho, so can't imagine if this is even possible. poor thing - nature just might take care of this problem herself but, like you, i would want to help.

if you decide to euthanize, maybe wrap it in something soft and put it in a freezer? or drop it in boiling water like we do with innocent but delicious lobsters. both ideas make me sad.

min

• sleeplessinftwayne
    14 years ago

Poor thing! Must be a horrible case of hemorrhoids. I agree with the others that it could be gently pushed back but I think you should anesthetize it first. They grow dormant in freezing temps so putting it in a plastic container and then into the freezer would work. If you want to keep panic to a minimum, a drop of oil of cloves in the box might work. It is used on fish and might work for frogs. It is used to euthanize fish too so err on the side of caution. Don't use antibiotics that are used for humans. Sandy

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals