SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berlyn_gw

How long should I let city water 'sit'??

berlyn
12 years ago

I've been ponding for 10+ years. This summer has been h*ll with the heat and drought! My pond turned green, not the normal seasonal green. Green with a couple of inches of clarity. We tried everything to clear the water; natural & chemical, to no avail. After 3 months, my patience wore me down.

Our set up; 1100 gallon pond with a Skippy filter (quilt batting) with water hyacinth on top and a Sequence pump. Early this summer we drained 1/2 of it and I divided and fertilized the water lilies. I thought the fertilizer and the extreme heat may have cause algae bloom. I even shaded the pond, worried my fish might boil!!. That did not help.

I moved my Koi out yesterday, drained the darn pond, trimmed the water lilies (the chemicals were h*ll on them!), cleaned the bio filter and filled it up with City water. Day 2 it is still crystal clear. (fingers crossed)

My question is; how long do I need to let the city water 'sit' to evaporate the chemicals?? Should I really add a dechrolinator to my water??

Also, I have a smaller pond that is crysal clear & I am thinking of adding some of that water to help "balance" and get the good stuff going in the big pond. Thoughts??

I have never ever had this problem with my ponds, usually time and patience will clear it. Not this time!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz