SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

A new copper pyramid for the garden

linrose
15 years ago

I've been wanting to build a copper structure for the longest time and so, being bored with the weather and anxiously awaiting spring I decided to throw a few things together to make this super simple pyramid for Reine des Violettes.

I just got four 10 foot lengths of copper pipe and drove them into the ground 2 feet or so with a sledge mallet and topped them off with a cast iron finial I bought a few years ago at Hobby Lobby. I couldn't figure out how to secure the pipes at the top and just came up with the idea of stuffing plumber's putty into the recess of the finial and just shoving the pipes up into it. It seems to work! I don't know for how long, but I'm willing to wait and see what happens. The pipes themselves are self-supporting and I think the four sided structure will be stable. I was tempted to add some copper wire to provide more stability and more places to tie off stems but I really don't see the reason. I did a little geometry based on the angle of the finial walls and came up with a 32" square base at a 6 foot height.

Here's what it looks like:

{{gwi:240227}}

and here's a detail of the top with the finial:

{{gwi:240228}}

This is not meant to hold a big heavy climber but to help support some rose canes and maybe a clematis or two. I'm having fun with this, I hope it works!

I have a few other finials with different designs I bought at the same time, if this works out I'll probably try a few more!

Comments (4)