SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fishinggardener

Grubs in my composter

FishingGardener
12 years ago

Our composter has a very large population of grubs. I'm noexpert on bugs but googling indicates they might be black soldier fly larvae. The primary inputs to our composter are kitchen scraps and grass clippings. We don't get much browns except in winter and late fall when we can get leaves. It also gets small amounts of paper (napkins, mostly).

These larvae swarm any kitchen scraps thrown in and reduce them to nothing in just a day or two. There are so many I can hear them if I put my head right over the composter. Our composter used to contain hundreds, probably thousands of redworms,such that I never had to buy any for fishing. This year there are very few worms and more of those larvae than any other year. The compost below the top levels is dark colored and smelly.

They gross my wife out and she keeps wanting to dig a big hole and bury the compost and start over. I keep telling her I don't think we need to and so far that's kept her at bay.

If these are BSFL, I gather they aren't harmful but my wife would rather not have them. Is there anything that will get rid of them without otherwise harming the compost, the worms, or making it unsuitable as fertilizer for a vegetable garden? That probably restricts it to an organic solution, or something nearly organic.

Photo is attached. They are on top of a napkin inside the shell or a large kabocha. Longest ones are about 3/4 of an inch, shortest ones are about 1/4 of an inch.

Thanks for any info!

Image link:

Comments (2)