SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vanillacottage

Need small shrub like boxwood - without the smell

VanillaCottage
10 years ago

I have 16 linear feet of space at the edge of my driveway that I would like to line with a tidy hedge-like evergreen shrub. I need to hide the messy area underneath the deck, so I would like something dwarf, ~ 2-3' tall.

The area faces south, southeast and gets part sun, mostly in the morning and early afternoon. The soil is also a bit rocky and compacted here. I cannot spend a lot of time or money right now on raised beds or lattice-work. I need something quick and easy. I am not handy at building things, but I can sure dig a hole (or 12)!

In my mind visually, boxwood seems the logical choice. But this area is very close to the house, just off the kitchen, where we sit on the deck every evening, and I simply cannot *cannot* stand the cat-pee scent of boxwood.

Could someone please offer suggestions on what might be best to plant in this area? Something close to the ground and not leggy. Again, I am trying to hide a 2' tall x16' long unattractive area, without using any hardscaping or carpentry work.

Many thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living