SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Our first year - wintering koi

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

We had a koi pond put in this past spring by a person who does only koi ponds. We are very happy with the pond. It is 5'5 feet deep and almost 20' in diameter. We have 17 fish, 3 are over a foot long, the rest range from upwards of 8 inches. We put in the best systems available, as per our guy.

The water quality has been excellent, the koi are healthy and vigorous and have grown nicely.

Even though we designed everything for the koi to winter in place, my DH is having second thoughts. He is so worried one will freeze. He doesn't like the idea of them being in the cold and unfed. In short, he has grown attached. He wants to bring them in.

My view is, I didn't choose a fish that needed to fly South for the winter! And, I don't want to look at some ugly tank, so itll have to be huge and nice and very costly, and that seems dumb to me.

We have a portion of our house that houses and indoor pool and greenhouse. The humidity and temperature are controlled year round. DH wants to put them in a tank in there. But 17 of them? Year after year?

For those of you in winter climates, how do you adjust/ rationalize their hibernation?

Help, DH and the kids think I am cruel!

{{gwi:232397}}
{{gwi:232400}}

Comments (8)