SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myoneandonly_gw

Shrubs for a new deck landscape

16 years ago

This is a start from scratch planting. The deck is not quite finished. The deck's north side is where the heat pumps are located, so mostly I'll be trying to make that area inconspicuous. The largest area of the deck faces east and south. The lowest point is along the 18' east side at about 3'off the ground and the highest point is about 6' (east and south facing). The balustrades will be 36" per code. The bottom (what would be open under the deck will be lattice painted to match the deck. Right now I have no pictures, but I am reminded of the Aircraft Carrier Nimitz or the Queen Mary when I look at this structure from grade level. It's intimidating. What I would like is to soften and scale it down with a "lush" border, staggered and layered with appropriate size shrubs, taller, medium, and lower. I love things like Cornus kousa, Japanese maple, chaste tree, hydrangeas, peonies, roses (maybe those Knockouts), clethera, big blue hostas, alliums, anything with flowers and/or frangrance. There is no shade, other than what would be provided by the deck or house as the sun moves across the sky. Also, I have been mostly a container gardener for the past twenty years in zone 9, so while I've used some of these shrubs and plants in the past, I haven't planted in the soil in zone 7. I would appreciate knowing your favorites and suggestions for use.

Comments (4)