SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
22carolyn

What do you do with your babies???

carolyn18810
16 years ago

For some reason, in all my niavete, I felt that the situation with baby koi would pretty much take care of itself. Everything that I had ever read about raising baby koi impressed quite strongly on the reader that you had to get the fertilized eggs away from the mainstream of the koi immediately, or you would have no babies to raise.

So far, we currently have about 18-20 baby koi - they are about 3" long or so right now. These babies are in addition to the dozen or so resident koi we had previously. We will probably keep 1 or 2 of the babies, but beyond that, we need to get rid of them. Our fish load is quite high right now and I am not too keen on wintering over all these babies.

We have a river that is nearby that I would like to release the baby koi into, but my DH keeps telling me that would not be wise, what with game fish in the river, etc. (This would be a such a nice solution - as each year passes, I have more koi that become of age).

Just wondering what everyone does with theirs - I'd love to know and I am open to suggestions.

TIA

Carolyn

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!