SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patmcgetti

Need advice on population explosion

patmcgetti
15 years ago

Can I wait until my March cleanup of the pond to catch my 15 or so surprise baby gold fish and find them good homes? That is my strategy but as they get bigger and bigger (1.5 - 2 inches) I wonder.

DETAILS:

Entering this year - my 10th learning ponding the hard way - my 6' x 24" circular pond had never had more than 1-2 babies a year (believe it or not). I never encouraged breeding. The current resident gold fish, a Shubunkin (I now know to be a male) and 6 rolly polly Ryukin gold fish (probably mostly female) had not bred in the two years they had been in my pond (after a terrible fish kill).

In June, I was doing some maintenance -- my little pond demands that -- when I saw a couple of very small "zoomers." As time went on, there were more and more, possibly 15 or so. They are all straight tails (like the Shubunkin), some 10 or so in various orange and white, and maybe more; and there are 5-6 that are "black" (that eventually turn into all organge if I remember from prior experiences). At feeding time I get a sense that my estimate is in the ball park.

The question is, can I get by until Spring or do I need to try to "thin the herd" right now?

Also, I would be interested in Washington DC area folks interested in some baby "zoomers."

All advice welcome.

Comments (15)